Friday, December 7, 2018

#2114: Anna L. Pierre

Ok, so this one is pretty minor. Anna L. Pierre is a citizen of North Miami, who in 2013 ran for mayor with a campaign touting that she was endorsed by Jesus Christ. Earlier in her campaign she complained that voodoo was being used against her. Pierre was unfazed, however: “They can put all the voodoo they want,” she said. “I’m a Christian woman. I’m not scared.” She did, however, reassure her potential voters that “I’m not nuts.” By 2013 most of us would have thought that having to reassure your potential voters that you are sane would suggest that you faced an uphill battle in the election; recent events have made us careful to generalize. Pierre, who also went by “Princess Anna Pierre”, however, ended up with less than 1% of the vote. Some voters were admittedly undeterred: “Well, I thought ‘I wonder if I ought to vote for this person to maintain the cosmic balance,’” said local resident Grover Rawlings, for instance. “I mean, I want to stay on the good side, it’s a pretty powerful endorsement if it’s true.”

Diagnosis: Probably harmless. At least she seems to have taken the defeat with more grace and dignity than Richard Sheridan.

No comments:

Post a Comment